Monday, February 21, 2011

[between two lungs it was released/the breath that carried me]

I just finished two FANTASTIC books, and I must recommend them everywhere, including here.

First, I made it down to number one on the list for Jonathan Franzen's Freedom (finally!), and that was a beautiful and frustrating experience of a book. I found myself in such a mix of emotions throughout the entire read. I never completely liked or completely disliked any of the characters, which bothered me at first...but then I became comfortable with it. I don't think I would have liked to only have one opinion either way. I do not mean to say I was apathetic...far from it, actually. What I mean is simultaneous feelings of hatred and compassion and love and confusion and disappointment. While I'd love to write an insightful and informative commentary on the book, it's still just living in my head right now and I'm not sure I could find words lovely enough to express what I felt reading the book and what I feel now that I have finished. I can only say that you should read it, and then maybe we can have a talk.

Today I finished Room, by Emma Donoghue. I'm reading it for a book club of friends (new and old) I have just joined, and I am just as enthralled and affected by this book as I am with Freedom. Told through the perspective of five year old Jack, it is intelligent and endearing and provocative and disturbing. I do not want to give any of this dark and beautiful tale away, so you must just read it yourself. You won't take long...it's impossible to put down - not only did I nearly miss my subway stop THREE TIMES in the past three days, but I also came home from a bar at 2am and decided to read a little before going to sleep...ended up reading until 5 in the morning...seriously. So just do it :o)

Anyway, now I am going to read The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I am excited. Thank you to my wonderful mom and dad for introducing me to the inescapable world of literature at such an early age...I am forever grateful.

[amanda]

"Between Two Lungs," Florence + the Machine, Lungs

2 comments:

  1. I read room last fall and I also couldn't put it down! It definitely gave me a lot to ponder for the next week or so. Such a heartbreaking little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh agreed! it was such a beautiful story...filled with the grotesque and horrifying, of course, but beautiful in it's essence, i think.

    ReplyDelete