Saturday, July 2, 2011

[you mean the bible is actually a trilogy, and the book of mormon is return of the jedi? i'm interested!]

Hahahaha. Oh, The Book of Mormon. What a brilliant piece of musical theatre. I was so fortunate to see that show last Wednesday evening, and I have to say that I have not enjoyed a musical this much in far too long. I had purposefully not listened to the music beforehand, and I'm so glad because everything was a beautiful and hilarious surprise. The show was complete perfection, and I cannot recommend it more. If you're lucky enough to get tickets, that is. I happened to be with a very wise and resourceful person the night I got to see it...after not winning the lottery drawing for $32 tickets (for our third try), he put his trust in a kindly ticket scalper, and we were able to see the show from box seats! Quite a lucky chance. Otherwise I think the next tickets available are for November. But SEE IT!! See it if you can. It's superb.

I feel as though I've been lacking inspiration lately. My feelings and emotions are so up and down right now. I definitely feel like I'm on a mid-twenties roller coaster. I'll think things are going a certain way, that then I get blindsided and surprised and caught off guard all over again. I want to write about funny and entertaining things, but it's almost like I am too contemplative, that I am too much in my head to make any sense of it. If I cannot sort things out in my own head, how can I get them in writing?

I think I am also perplexed by the selfishness of some people right now. I don't know if it's New Yorkers in the Summer, but the people around me have been so rude and pushy lately. So many individuals seem to have a "ME FIRST!" attitude, whether it's simply walking to and from a place, getting in and out of the subway, standing in line at a store, or riding the bus. I find myself in a state of absolute disbelief when I watch some of the interactions that take place from day to day. And what is worse is that I let all of this affect MY mood, when really that's not fair to others or to myself. My dad, being a minister, always offers the "Serenity Prayer" to me as a way to feel better, and while my spiritual thoughts are all over the place, I can see the comfort in these words:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Whatever a person's religious or non-religious beliefs, these are good words to ponder in times of frustration. It's pretty easy to take the word "God" out, if you wish :o)

It's one thing to give the advice, and it's another to take it, so I'm working on the "taking it" aspect right now.

I feel like I am a part of a generation of people who have the optimism to change the world, but the realism to know we cannot do it alone. People who have the passion to live our dreams, but the knowledge that the road to our dreams is not an easy one. People who are intelligent and driven and excited, but who are also overwhelmed and confused and frustrated. We want great things, but we know those great things will not just come to us; we know that simply "reaching for the stars" is not enough, but our hearts are so full of love for our particular "star" that it hurts when we cannot reach it. It is a wonderful and terrible time to be alive, and we are desperate for some kind of meaning.

Thoughts?

[amanda]

title quote: "All-American Prophet," The Book of Mormon, Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Robert Lopez

No comments:

Post a Comment