Saturday, June 18, 2011

[it's the wanting to know that makes us matter]

My spirit has been awakened.

My artistic hunger has been fed and satisfied.

My heart is full and my soul is nourished.

I saw Tom Stoppard's Arcadia at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre on Broadway tonight...just in time, as it closes tomorrow. Stoppard is one of my favorite playwrights, and Arcadia is truly a masterpiece. I haven't taken myself out to the theatre in far too long, and tonight was perfection. Everything about this show was saturated with beauty, intelligence, and masterful artistry. The set was simple, yet exquisite. The lighting was soft, and the sound design fitting. The actors were superb, every single one of them. And being in the rear balcony allowed me to look down at the expert choreography of the blocking in a way I definitely appreciated - as a complete piece, the direction was fantastic. The lines were delivered with precision and delicacy, the dialogue quick and witty...Arcadia is a play of brilliance, and it flowed with perfectly alternating rhythm and an obvious understanding of the content. I cannot say enough about this production.

Theatre is magical to me. When the curtain went up, my heart leapt up into my throat and tears filled my eyes...and I ended with the same feeling and intense emotion. This is one of my favorite states of mind. I feel complete as a human being. If you haven't read this play, please do so. You will laugh, you will ponder the state of humanity, you will consider the passage and meaning of time.

A fantastic night, indeed.

[amanda]

title quote: Hannah Jarvis, Arcadia, Tom Stoppard

No comments:

Post a Comment